Re: module's use of security_ops

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 07:09:19 PDT

    On 9 Jun 2001, David Wagner wrote:

    > Therefore, I'd argue for not exporting security_ops in a form that
    > allows write access.  Read-only access would be fine, if there were a
    > way to enforce the read-only restriction; at present, exporting wrappers
    > around capable(), permission(), and compute_creds() as necessary may be
    > the easiest way to achieve this.

    Not exporting security_ops and defining wrapper functions would not
    truly prevent direct modification of the security_ops structure
    by a clever module, but it would certainly discourage it.  Defining
    wrapper functions for the few hooks needed by existing modules
    would not be hard, but it seems desirable to allow future modules
    to invoke many of the security hooks for performing fine-grained
    permission checking (or other security functionality).  Are there
    any LSM hooks that we would not want to allow direct invocation
    by modules?  If not, then it seems we would need to define a wrapper
    function for each hook.  If we follow this route, then we would
    presumably always call a macro that would be defined to directly
    dereference the security_ops structure or to call the wrapper
    function depending on the context in which it was called.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private