Re: New LSM patch for consideration

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 12:56:49 PDT

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Chris Wright wrote:

    > This is why it seems funny to place two hooks together that are essentially
    > making the same check (since capable is a hook to the module).

    I think the existing DAC+capable logic is fine, using short circuit
    evaluation to avoid unnecessary calls to capable().

    I think the issue of two hook calls on the same code path is
    unrelated to the issue of authoritative hooks.  The real issue
    is that there are an existing set of capable() calls in the kernel,
    and those calls are pervasively used by both the base kernel
    and by modules, but the interface to those calls is inadequate
    for security modules that we want to support.  So we need to insert
    our own hook calls with finer-grained interfaces, whether we
    are being restrictive, permissive, or authoritative.  But it
    isn't practical for us to replace all of the existing capable()
    calls (especially since they can occur from modules as well as
    the base kernel), so we end up with duplication.  If we only
    insert our own finer-grained hooks and do not insert a hook
    into capable, then we lose coverage.  If we only use capable
    and do not insert our own finer-grained hooks, then we lose
    flexiblity (and the ability to support most of the modules
    under consideration).

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private