Re: New LSM patch for consideration

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 07:25:20 PDT

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 jmjonesat_private wrote:

    > While I see the necessity of purely-restrictive hooks for
    > assurance/verification, I believe it's short sighted to explicitly define
    > ALL LSM hooks as being purely restrictive, forevermore.  It may just be a
    > matter of semantics.

    I think the key word here is "forevermore".  Nothing we do here
    will be "forevermore."  If we want to make timely progress
    in creating a useable LSM framework and if we want our work to have
    any hope of acceptance into the 2.5 series, then we have to
    carefully define and limit our scope based on our goals.  And
    for most of the projects represented here, our goal seems to be
    supporting security modules that offer finer-grained restrictive
    behavior.

    > I can't help but draw a distinction between "grant[ing] traditionally
    > superuser privileges..." and being permissive, which may include
    > privileges that are not "traditionally supported", potentially based on
    > information that the current capabilities implementation does not take
    > into account...

    Right.  I've previously mentioned that allowing a process to override
    DAC restrictions on a certain set of files rather than all files
    might be a desireable feature, and that the current capable()
    interface merely supports allowing a process to override DAC
    restrictions on all files.  But again, we have to define and
    limit our scope based on our goals.  And none of the security
    modules under consideration at this point seem to require
    finer-grained permissive behavior than capabilities.

    > It would seem that this solution simply pushes the discussion to the
    > capabilities module implementation, and by calling it "capabilities"
    > implies support of the pre-existing capabilities mechanism ... without
    > significant extension.
    >
    > Is that a correct characterization?

    It would support any permissive security module, but only at the
    same granularity provided by the existing capable interface.  And
    it would support fine-grained restrictive security modules.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private