Re: LSM Patch Additions for CAPP (C2) Audit Trails

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 08:41:35 PDT

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > Your patch introduces a lot of hooks for capturing final return
    > statuses.  Why can't this be provided by a module simply by
    > interposing on the system calls like any existing LKM and capturing
    > the final result in that manner?  Why must we add explicit hooks into
    > the base kernel for this purpose?

    One final observation on this same theme:  it seems like we
    need to distinguish between hooks that are truly needed in
    order to effectively support some security functionality vs.
    hooks that can just as easily be implemented via system call
    interposition.  It seems as if certain aspects of your patch
    (capturing return statuses, recording the system call parameters
    like the fd or pathname) can be done quite well with a LKM
    using the existing Linux kernel, without needing hooks at all.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private