Re: Kernel Security Extensions USENIX BOF Summary

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 11:59:49 PDT

    I have been, quite correctly, informed my "monster large" replies
    are too big to get meaningful replies.  Ergo, I will pare down this
    to the currently important question and try to be less verbose in the
    future...

    On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Emily Ratliff wrote:

    > - one person (I didn't catch his name) expressed a strong need for a dummy
    > module that exercises each hook to use in regression testing each new
    > kernel. About half the audience seemed to agree, with the other half
    > saying that the hooks that were interesting for active security modules
    > would thrive and be tested against each new kernel version by default and
    > that it would be ok if the other hooks died out.

    LSMEXAMPLE (latest version coming SOON) is a mostly-dummy module.  Since I
    have the basic structure of a module therein, could somebody please
    provide a more detailed specification of what sorts of analyses would be
    useful?  I'll get it coded, if I can get a clue.

    More generally, I think LMbench ROCKS, but there may be better ways to
    test LSM specifically.  Can I hear some specific ideas on this?

    lsm-benchmarksat_private [1]

    is a "side list" for discussing technicalities before we bring the
    result here, but either here or there is fine for me.

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones

    [1] to subscribe, send an email to

          majordomoat_private