Re: Kernel Security Extensions USENIX BOF Summary

From: sarnoldat_private
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 14:00:18 PDT

    On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 02:02:23PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > The threat model under consideration is kernel developers who either
    > optimize away a hook they don't understand, or add some new functionality
    > (e.g. a new way to open files) without adding appropriate hooks.  Following
    > some discussion, we concluded that there is no cure for this threat except
    > dilligence.

    Does this mean the consensus reached at the BoF was that a regression
    test program wouldn't be worth the time it takes to write one? I tend to
    think asking Linus and Alan to run './lsm-nothing-obviously-broken-tester'
    before making new point releases would be a useful thing.

    But if you guys hashed it all out, I'm fine going with your decision. :)