Re: Hooks, authority, MAC, the future and proposol

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 17:25:48 PDT

    LA Walsh  wrote:
    >In the same way you don't want to return
    >a DAC failure when the user doesn't have "access" to the data in the
    >inode needed to perform a DAC check, instead they should get a MAC failure.

    I'm sorry, you lost me there.  On Linux, a failure is a failure is a
    failure (it's all 'return -EPERM;').  What am I missing?

    >Given that audit requires more hooks than are currently present [...]

    Audit is a separate issue, and it seems one might need fairly different
    mechanisms to support it.  Actually, I believe this has been discussed
    in depth on this list before, and from my recollection, I don't remember
    hearing any explanation why simple syscall interposition won't suffice
    for this purpose.  It's not clear to me why one would expect that the
    right place to do audit is deep in the guts of the kernel; can you help
    me to understand?

    >2) move to authoritative hooks with the standard security moved
    >into a module that is compiled in and [...]

    This has also been discussed at length on the list.  My understanding
    is that most people felt that this would be too drastic a change---it
    would put acceptance of LSM into the mainline kernel at risk.  Can you
    give any more specific arguments why we authoritative hooks are critical?
    Concrete examples would be helpful.