Module Stacking -- Capability_Plug

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 11:17:30 PDT

    Attached is a tiny patch to capability_plug.c which changes the
    exit code to allow it to unregister without error regardless of
    whether it was originally registered primary or secondary (I think, the
    usual "look at it" suggestion... seemed to pass my tests.)

    If modules are stacked and capability_plug is secondary to another module,
    it is possible that the primary module may be removed and reregister
    capability_plug as the primary... this sort of strategy helps modules in
    a stack/chain "get out clean"... leaving the "original" security intact,
    depending on how much we move out to the module.

    An example of this sort of case would be a module which can load other
    modules and provide statistics/information/tests, but slows the system.
    After running it for a while (maybe until the test is complete) to
    determine security is as expected, it could be removed to eliminate
    the cost.  Perhaps some sort of power-up test/verification system.

    Submitted For Your Approval,
    J. Melvin Jones