Looking ahead towards audit requirements (CAPP, LSPP)

From: David Wheeler (dwheelerat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 14:20:15 PDT

    Crispin Cowan has suggested that the "next stage" should examine
    audit requirements, and SGI has worked hard on figuring out how to
    implement the "CAPP" requirements for auditing.
    For those of you who wonder "what might someone want for auditing
    requirements", I think a good place to start would be the following two
    documents (http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/library/protection_profiles/):

    * Controlled Access Protection Profile (CAPP) - this is "C2 using the
      Common Criteria".  See in particular section 5.1.1.

      It requires that systems be _ABLE_ to log a number of events;
      what a system actually audits at any given time is configurable,
      (in practice systems have much of this some turned off unless there
      is a concern of ongoing/imminent danger), but the idea is that an
      attacker won't know exactly what's being audited TODAY.
      It also needs to be ABLE to log success _or_ failure (or both) of a given
      event.  These events include unsuccessful reading of audit logs and
      "all requests to perform an operation on an object covered by the SFP".

    * Labeled Security Protection Profile (LSPP) - this is "B1 using the
      Common Criteria".  It has a similar section 5.1.1 with a few additions.

    I'm sure that there are other events that someone might want to audit,
    and I'm sure not everyone would want this list.  However, a
    system that has enough hooks to audit these events would be a good start,
    and you'd be able to refer to a canonical list of events to audit.
    At the very least, it's a good test and first step towards supporting audit.