Re: Changes to LSM phase 1 for audit.

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 19:10:45 PDT

    Casey Schaufler  wrote:
    >A good audit
    >analysis tool is going to be able to answer querys based on fd,
    >such as "where did this Trojan Horse get stdin from?".

    But this is not responsive to the question.  This may be a good reason
    to record what fd 0 is connected to when the app was started, but it's
    not clear to me why this is a good reason to audit the fd on every call
    to read().

    (I'll note, though, that this is the closest I've heard to a reason that
    came close to persuading me: I could imagine that there might be some
    persuasive argument based on the fact that fds 0, 1, and 2 are special.
    After some thought, I couldn't think of any such scenario, though, so
    I must admit that I am still unconvinced.  Please let me know if I am
    missing something.)