Re: Audit patch split into 5 parts

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 17:28:39 PDT

    On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 04:01:24PM -0700, richard offer wrote:
    > sgi-1-add-fds

    Seems fine to me. (BTW -- I think Casey and I proposed different uses
    for the fds; he was saying some files could not be used as the
    source/target (I am generalizing for him :) for 'common' file
    descriptors. I was saying that every setuid program should have stdin,
    stdout, and stderr assigned to *something*.) (BTW #2 -- I could envision
    some sort of MAC policy for close-on-exec flags on file descriptors when
    processes of different types execute either other. If someone would
    rather code this one up, it may or may not be easier/more useful. In any
    event, this is nearing three possible policies for filedescriptors.. :)

    > sgi-2-post-hooks

    Seems fine to me. (Frankly, I think this might lead to a performance
    improvement despite now having to pass one more parameter .. the call is
    no longer conditional.) Is there anything I may have missed?

    > sgi-4-mac-before-dac
    > ====================
    >
    > Try and call a hook before any other DAC logic (including calls to
    > capable()).
    >
    > The issue here is that SubDomain wants DAC before MAC, classic B1 systems
    > (as we will be aiming for) insist on having MAC before DAC. As we have two
    > reasonable policies that have mutual conflicts in hook placement we need a
    > third solution.

    Oh, more than POSIX requires MAC to come first? (It has been a while
    since I last read the orange book..) Since giving this up would mean
    a reasonable amount of re-thinking and recoding for our complain mode
    subdomain module, I am reluctant to just acquiesce.. :) Considering that
    much the same could be said for the SGI group, I think some more time
    could be spent trying to figure out a third solution that may suit the
    both of us better..

    > sgi-5-truncate
    > ==============
    >
    > A separate patch since I'm not sure about this, what with all the inode vs
    > name discussion. We really want the name, the truncate() hook is passed an
    > inode. We've added the name as well, but this is api sticks out like a sore
    > thumb. It would be nice if we could come up with a generic solution for the
    > all of the inode hooks, and just happen to fix this one at the same time...

    Now, on this one, I am utterly confused. You guys change the prototype
    but then hardcode one of the parameters to NULL in the only call? :) I
    also don't understand why the file offset is included. Is it really
    needed? (Especially considering that the results are going to be
    'fuzzy', i.e., the results are unspecified in certain cases. Yes, I know
    Linux will tend to do one thing consistently, but the applications
    running on top of Linux may be coded to try several different things for
    platform compatibility reasons.. I just don't see this value being
    useful to anyone ever. :)

    I am far from convinced that this is more than a mistake. :) Heheh.

    Thanks richard.