Re: MAC before DAC vs DAC before MAC

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 12:06:52 PDT

    On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 06:20:29PM +0000, David Wagner wrote:
    > It is rather difficult for me to imagine a reason why we should
    > worry about optimizing for syscalls that are disallowed by policy,
    > and that's putting it mildly.

    I apologize for dragging performance into the discussion.

    I still think that optimizing the results, even ones that ought to
    return failure, is a reasonable enough thing to do. (I may be the only
    one. :) However, Richard and I have both proposed legitimate policies
    that would suffer from either orientation of module and kernel checks.
    Given that, there is no need to discuss performance (as it relates to
    the hook placement problem).

    I'm sorry I brought it up. :)