Re: MAC before DAC vs DAC before MAC

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 15:43:43 PDT

    Casey Schaufler  wrote:
    >Assume a file with both a POSIX ACL and a MAC label.
    >The MAC label is small enough to fit in a XFS inode,
    >the ACL is not. The file hasn't been accessed in so
    >long its not only not cached, it's been archived
    >by the HMS. The inode remains on disk, but the extended
    >information, in this case the ACL, is off line.

    Am I confused?  Doesn't this example actually argue that in-kernel checks
    ("DAC") should precede module-based checks ("MAC", if we must use that
    terminology)?  The kernel's inode check (which uses the "DAC" mode bits
    stored in the inode) will execute quickly, but the module's ACL check
    will take a long time, so if we're really talking about optimizing any
    way possible, then we want the kernel's check to come first.  Right?

    Anyway, we could probably discuss at length about whether the right fix
    for this type of example is a modification of the caching strategy,
    a tweak to the security architecture, or education of customers and
    management of their expectations.  Nevertheless, the most compelling
    point for me is that this scenario is an event that I believe we can
    expect to be rare.  My objection is the following: I'm not convinced
    that such a pervasive change to the security subsystem is justified
    by optimizing for such a rare event (invoke Amdahl's law here as to the
    questionable utility of optimizing for rare cases...).  Such optimizations
    seem particularly troublesome when they might negatively impact other
    properties we care about.

    If we're going to allow performance arguments based on rare cases to
    have such a large say in the architecture debate, what prevents some
    other module writer from coming up with an argument that in-kernel checks
    should come first because he has some scenario where the module ("MAC")
    takes forever but the kernel ("DAC") is fast?

    For the record, I'm not convinced that SubDomain's application would
    justify a sweeping change to the architecture, either, as SubDomain's
    use of the current ordering might be viewed by some as a special case of
    'audit'.  From this point of view, you might be able to make a case that
    there is no strong argument either way.