Re: The Demise of Simple Assurance?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 12:57:19 PDT

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:43:25 EDT, jmjonesat_private said:

    > It is conceivable that a module COULD change fields in this structure
    > that would later circumvent in-kernel security checks, interfering with
    > the in-kernel checks and, likewise, with the "simple assurance argument".

    > Some Solutions:
    >
    > Allow authoritative hooks, which are applicable if the "simple assurance"
    > argument drops below radar, imho. (In essence, abandon the "simple
    > assurance argument" completely.)

    Umm.. if a module could screw with the structure, it can screw with the
    authoritative hooks.

    If you've got a rogue module running inside the kernel, the game is All Over,
    unless you have hardware support for "rings" or "address spaces" or the
    like so a module can run in a 'semi-priviledged' state.  I believe Multics
    allowed that, and IBM's MVS-class systems have some support for similar
    concepts.

    But if you've got a module loaded in a Linux kernel, and it's trying to
    play games with your brain, you've got bigger problems.

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Operating Systems Analyst