Re: Making forward progress

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 10:29:27 PDT

    Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 jmjonesat_private wrote:
    >
    > > 1) the more patches/work that get done within the "restrictive_only"
    > > model, the more work have to do here to convert from "restrictive_only" to
    > > authoritative.
    >
    > Moving DAC to a module is not the same thing as authoritative hooks. I think
    > that Crispin sent a note to Ted asking about moving DAC to a module, not
    > about authoritative hooks vs. restrictive hooks.

    Stephen is correct:  the question put to Ted is about moving the DAC logic.
    The authoritative/restrictive quesion is one we should likely decide
    internally.

    Also, keep in mind that I put that question to Ted Friday afternoon, and it is
    only Monday morning.  It's a bit early to declare Ted AWOL :-)

    > With regard to authoritative hooks, it isn't really true that there is any
    > conflict between the ongoing work and what is needed for authoritative
    > hooks.  In fact, moving the existing hook calls after the DAC logic (which I
    > did for permission in my recent patch and I have just done for setattr,
    > ptrace, setnice, setpgid, and setscheduler) makes it easier to convert to
    > authoritative hooks. The other tasks I suggested in my original message in
    > this thread don't really help with regard to authoritative hooks, but they
    > don't make it any harder to change to them, and they certainly improve the
    > overall quality of LSM.

    I also agree with Stephen's assement here:  I don't see a desparate need to
    resolve the restrictive/authoritative issue immediately.  In fact, I think
    there is much to be said for moving cautiously:  It is likely much easier to go
    restrictive->authoritative than it is to go authoritative->restrictive (obvious
    reasons IMHO, details if someone wants 'em).  So if we are to make the jump, we
    had best be certain that we want to.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.