Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 10:42:48 PDT

    Seth Arnold  wrote:
    >Please forgive my ignorance, but is it common for kernel space to call
    >syscalls?

    No.

    (One exception includes loadable kernel modules that use syscall
    interposition for security, but I expect that once LSM is in place,
    they can be largely converted to use LSM hooks instead of syscall
    interposition.)

    Syscall interposition in the kernel is a bit of a can of worms,
    if you want to handle it in full generality.  User/kernel pointers,
    SMP, locking, and portability issues are annoying, and writing code
    to handle execve() is a good way to lose your lunch.