Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 16:21:40 PDT

    richard offer  wrote:
    >I really don't like the idea of forcing the use of the /proc filesystem
    >just to enable the use of LSM.
    >
    >This could affect the uptake of LSM in the embedded space.

    Do we have any evidence from real embedded guys that they actually
    want to use non-trivial LSM modules?  (Non-trivial enough that they
    need to be controlled through /proc, that is.)  I don't know whether
    there are any embedded folks on this list, but maybe this isn't
    even a problem.

    If it is a problem, we can decide what to do then.  Even if it is a
    problem, well, we might decide as a group that it's better have a clean
    solution that leaves embedded guys unable to use LSM modules than have
    an ugly solution that supports embedded guys.

    >And using /proc is going to be slower than a system call, which maybe okay
    >for Janus, could for other policies, SELinux ?

    I remember discussing this at length last time we talked about this
    (deja vu all over again?).  My vague recollection is that I wasn't
    convinced that /proc was going to be slower than a syscall, and I
    wasn't convinced that most uses of a special syscall would be performance
    critical anyway.  But, maybe this is selective recall; I could be wrong.

    The only way to settle this is through measurements.  Without
    measurements, I'd be concerned that we could easily fall into the
    pitfall of premature optimization (which, as we all know, is the root
    of all evil...).