RE: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 08:30:42 PDT

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:

    > If the module forgets to do this check then there could be
    > problems.  The application performing the system call and
    > the module must agree on a format for the arguments in order
    > to pass them through this generic system call.  It makes
    > sense to me that an application using policy A should not
    > even begin execute the system call belonging to a module
    > using policy B.  Do you have a need to do otherwise?

    Well, generally speaking, if the module is poorly designed and forgets to
    do checks there will be problems, anyway.

    By stopping the syscall before the hook a stacking module doesn't get the
    ID, and therefore it's the stacking module's id, not the ID of any
    subordinately registered module that holds sway. If the ID is passed to
    the module (which I suggested yesterday with a "PASS" value to stop the
    in-kernel block), the identification/format-matching can be handled there,
    and a stacking module might even multiplex several subordinate modules
    based on this information.

    The simplest solution is just to pass the ID as an argument in the hook.

    > ---
    > Lachlan McIlroy                    Phone: +61 3 9596 4155
    > Trusted Linux                        Fax: +61 3 9596 2960
    > Adacel Technologies Ltd                    www.adacel.com

    J. Melvin Jones