Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 16:51:27 PDT

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Greg KH wrote:

    > "Keys"???

    Ouch, local word versus common usage.  Any logical or physical device that
    gets you past a security or safety check is a "key" (keycode, magic
    number, whatever)

    Not meant to jump to:

    Encryption key, public/private or otherwise,
    Any small island chain, especially off the coast of Florida,
    or
    The posterior part of anybody's anatomy (colloquial rock-n-roll usage).

    Simply meant "check number / (magic number)".

    > > I agree there's a need for the application to verify the module is correct
    > > and then fail gracefully... this goes all the way back to our discussions
    > > months ago about providing userspace with information about the module's
    > > abilities (in the coarsest possible way), but I don't see how it HAS to be
    > > in the syscall argument list...
    >
    > It shouldn't.  That isn't the job of the syscall interface.

    Style/philosophy issue, although you can likely defend it successfully in
    Linux as being "the way of things."  Consistancy in the absence of
    contrary need is a good philosophy.

    > > P.S. -- Yes, yes, I find myself agreeing with Greg.  Who'd ever have thunk
    > > it?
    >
    > Wow!  I'm shocked! :)

    Don't be.  It's the common case.  I just take longer than most to get
    there.

    > greg k-h

    Glacially Your's,
    J. Melvin Jones