Re: [patch] Socket Receive Hook

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 11:05:56 PDT

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, James Morris wrote:

    > The "correct" way of doing this is to use the skb security blob to store
    > network layer information (e.g. IP header fields) at some hook in the
    > network layer, then retrieve it at the transport or application layer as
    > needed.
    >
    > This then facilitates policies such as:
    >
    > "allow user fred receive tcp,udp from 10.1.2.3"

    SELinux performs a permission check based on the type of the socket (which
    is derived from the domain of the creating process), the type of the
    packet (which by default is derived from the receiving network interface),
    and the kind of socket.  So we aren't concerned with the source  IP
    address at this point, except to include as additional information in
    audit messages upon access failures.  Without IPSEC support to
    authenticate the source, there isn't much point in using the source IP
    address as part of the decision.  When we integrate SELinux with IPSEC
    support, we can use the skbuff security object to save information in the
    network layer hooks, as you mentioned, and use it later in the
    sock_rcv_skb hook.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private