Re: Making forward progress

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 22:43:15 PDT

    jmjonesat_private wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > > I disagree, but I'm cheating, 'cause I've heard Ted explain his approach to
    > > me in person :-)  What he's talking about is to change all of the hooks to be
    > > macros, and put #ifdef's in header files so that the Linux kernel config can
    > > turn the LSM hooks into true nop's at config time, without dropping
    > > conditional compilation into the body of the code.
    >
    > Well, one can accept your "refocus" or not, although I'm inclined to accept it.

    It's not a refocus, it's an elaboration.  Ted is on vacation, and took time out to
    write his views for us.  I expanded on that, based on a verbal conversation
    between Pete Loscocco, Chris Wright, Ted, and I.

    > > Ted's suggested approach has its costs and benefits.  The benefits are fairly
    > > obvious, so I won't elaborate.  The costs are:
    >
    > Ummmmm, would rather you have enumerated the benefits.  I don't think they're as
    > obvious as you think.

    Only one benefit, but it's a biggie: reduces the overhead for non-users of LSM to
    zero.

    > While there is resistance to conditional code, I would like to point out as a
    > "base" that applying the patch or NOT applying the patch is a "condition"... the
    > difference is a Y/N/M answer in make config or a download and one line of
    > command.

    Mucking with patches does not qualify as conditional code.  The whole point of
    LSM is to make security modules loadable into standard kernels.  If end-users have
    to apply patch files, then LSM is of no benefit.

    > 2) long ago, I mentioned that there was the possibility that a loadable module
    > might actually REDUCE security overhead by moving capabilities out or other
    > security functions might be accomplished with less cost than inside the kernel.
    > You assured me that the goal of LSM was "that and more!"... we're pretty far
    > from that right now.

    How so?  If capabilities moves to a module, and you don't load it, then you've
    redcued overhead.  I don't understand your point.

    > I think, in most cases, removing the in-kernel checks would require 4-5 lines,
    > maximum, per hook.  In some cases, it would require an argument or two to the
    > hook.  In other cases, it can't EASILY be done in one block... so it requires
    > documentation.
    >
    > In MANY cases, it would require some thinking.   Thinking doesn't scare me. :)

    Requiring developers to think about how to correctly patch the Linux kernel in a
    hundred different places, especially with respect to security, DOES scare me.  It
    is precisely the threat that such hacks will not be carried out correctly,
    everywhere, that makes the DAC-out option very dangerous.

    All LSM design decsions are in some sense a cost:benefit trade-off analysis.
    We're all learning as we go along.  I expect a lot of learning to happen Wednesday
    evening at the LSM BOF :-)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.