Re: Making forward progress

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 09:57:10 PDT

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > IMHO, the "patch" approach is useless.  We might as well revert to
    > distributing individual patches for our projects.

    Actually, this isn't entirely true.  Although our goal is definitely
    to gain acceptance into the mainstream kernel (if necessary as a
    configuration option), the LSM patch might still be a worthwhile
    investment even if it were rejected.  Rather than each of us needing
    to maintain our own kernel patch, the various security projects could
    jointly maintain the LSM patch (thereby reducing the individual burden
    on each project).  This would allow each of us to spend more time on
    our individual security modules.  It also fosters exchange of ideas
    between the security projects and provides more eyes inspecting the
    kernel patch.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private