RE: syscall convention

From: KRAMER,STEVEN (HP-USA,ex1) (steven_kramerat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 07:38:15 PDT

    Yes.  No disagreement here.  However, since the suggested method is proposed
    to be in a comment, I wanted that comment to reflect that the ID may
    include not only the name, but versioning info.

    > If I do CAPP v1 and then release CAPP v2. Its in my best interest that
    > those are compatable, I would do that by careful selection of
    > cmd values
    > rather than using a new modid.

    Usually that is the case.  But let's assume CAPP v3, v4 ... v7 comes about,
    and then some outside influence or <DING> bright idea <DING> hits you and
    you have to radically change the module, affecting the interface.  (It's
    not always in the best interest to keep things the same.  If so, we'd be
    very proficient COBOL or FORTRAN programmers.)  You still may
    want (for marketing reasons or whatever) to call the module CAPP, and have
    cmds be cognizant of which of the
    (now 2) interfaces of CAPP they will interact with.

    > richard.

    --steve kramer