Re: New patch for bdflush and syslog

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 05:51:18 PDT

    On 30 Aug 2001, David Wagner wrote:

    > In fact, is there any reason to pass the 'data' value to the hook at
    > all?  Passing it seems like a temptation to shoot oneself in the foot.
    > Does anyone actually need this value to enforce policy?  If someone
    > does need it, I think some cleanup of sys_bdflush() may be in order.
    > If noone needs it, the benefit of omitting it from the hook is that it
    > will force us to handle things correctly if someone eventually decides
    > they need access to this parameter.  What do you think of this proposal?

    We don't need the data parameter for SELinux, but we included it as
    a parameter to the hook because it is sometimes a simple integer value
    (passed by value) rather than a pointer.  So this is similar to the arg
    parameter to the fcntl hook, except that we specifically have a need for
    that parameter in SELinux.  What do others think?  Should we remove the
    data parameter from the bdflush hook or keep it with a clearly stated
    warning as we have done with the fcntl arg parameter?

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private