Re: Subtle changes to IPC alloc_security routines.

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 07:43:33 PDT

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:

    > I've attached a patch that moves some lines in newque/
    > newary/newseg so that the key and flag arguments are
    > available when new messages/semaphores/segments are
    > created.  The alternative to this change is to add the
    > arguments to the hooks but I thought this would be less
    > invasive.  Any objections?

    Hmm...this seems a little inconsistent with the other alloc_security
    hooks, but it is probably reasonable in this case.  For objects
    like inodes, we have separate hooks for allocating the security blob
    (alloc_security) and setting the attributes in it (post_lookup,
    post_create, ...).  Likewise for sockets, allocation is handled
    by the inode_ops->alloc_security, while the setting of attributes
    is handled by socket_ops->post_create and accept.  But there doesn't
    seem to be much point in providing two separate hooks for the
    System V IPC objects, since they would merely be separated by a few
    lines of code.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private