Re: quotactl hook

From: richard offer (offerat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 11:21:33 PDT

    * frm sdsat_private "09/05/01 14:05:46 -0400" | sed '1,$s/^/* /'
    *
    *
    * Right.  I'm not clear as to where this issue is headed now.  It seems
    * like Chris Wright issued a challenge to SGI to demonstrate that the
    * existing capable hook wasn't sufficient.  Lachlan gave an example where
    * capable is called even when the DAC logic would succeed, but also said
    * that this wasn't an issue for SGI since the restrictive hook is called
    * first.  So it isn't clear to me that the case for authoritative hooks
    * has been made.

    capable() is not a substitute for authoritative hooks, there is
    insufficient information available inside the hook on which to make any
    decision that is more complex than "is this process running with
    privilege". Capable() was never intended to be used as a general purpose
    access control vehicle.

    * Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    * ssmalleyat_private

    richard.