Common header for security blobs

From: Lachlan McIlroy (lachlanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 21:18:09 PDT

    I was just hit with the idea of having a common header
    structure in all security blobs.  What happens when
    module stacking is used and a module gets a security blob
    that was created by another module?  Will it clobber the
    blob or get confused?  Even if it knows that the
    information within the blob is meaningless, how does it
    put it's information in the blob without messing up the
    other module?  We could manage multiple security policies
    by keeping a list of security blobs with each kernel data
    structure.  Information that could be common to all
    security blobs would include a locking mechanism.  A
    union of various types of locks will allow for the
    flexibility to select the lock you need without using too
    much memory.  Information that could be module specific
    would include the module id so a module can find its
    security blob in the list of blobs.

    Any other reasons for or against this idea are welcome...
    but 'general reasons' will be frowned upon.

    ---
    Lachlan McIlroy                    Phone: +61 3 9596 4155
    Trusted Linux                        Fax: +61 3 9596 2960
    Adacel Technologies Ltd                    www.adacel.com