Re: Common header for security blobs

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 17:35:34 PDT

    David Wagner wrote:

    >By the way, people say that "general stacking is too difficult, so let's
    >not think about stacking at all".  I still have doubts that this may end
    >up costing us in the long run.  It seems that there are some special cases
    >that are of considerable interest and that nonetheless seem quite feasible
    >to handle: for instance, we have two restrictive-only modules M and M',
    >and we want to compose them, allowing only actions that both M and M'
    >would allow; this is safe and easy to do well, I believe, if we design LSM
    >in the beginning to support composition.

    Hmmm ... if LSM is purely restrictive, and purely access control, then
    general composition may become feasible:

        * chain all the hooks: if any module says "no", then the answer is "no"
        * chain the blobs: each blob is actually a list of blobs, and each
          module walks the list of blobs looking for its own

    This is not what we have designed, but it is conceivable, and
    potentially quite valuable.

    On the other hand, going down this path really locks out authoritative
    hooks and anything but restrictive access control policy engines, now
    and forevermore.

    Is it feasible to allow some subset of LSM modules to engage in this
    protocol, and thus permit generic stacking of "restrictive-only access
    control modules"?  I don't know.  There would have to be a way for a
    module to declare itself to be a member of the ROACM Cabal :-) so that
    the stacking mechanism will let them in.  It's kind of problematic, and
    depends on the code details.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.