Re: GPL only usage of security.h

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 23:21:21 PDT

    Greg KH wrote:

    >On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 09:10:14PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    >
    >>I think that code (especially security code) can be more secure if the
    >>source is available. Further, open source code can grow better through
    >>the ability of community developers to improve features and fix bugs.
    >>But what this change does is impose a singular license on security
    >>modules (GPL).
    >>
    >No it does not.  Please see the file module.h in the 2.4.10 kernel tree
    >for a list of the acceptable licenses, like my wording stated.

    Point noted: you're merely mandating OSD-compliant licensing.

    This is still contrary to (at least my) original intent in the LSM
    project.  Linux has always permitted proprietary modules. The rationale,
    is that a module that does not change the kernel is not a derived work
    of the kernel, it is an application *for* the Linux that needs direct
    access to kernel space. Permitting proprietary modules is the same as
    permitting proprietary applications. I do not see why LSM should be
    different.

    >>Perhaps we should LGPL the security.h.  Does that create problems?
    >>
    >I would object to this.  That would be granting the explicit right for
    >it to be used in closed source binaries.  I do not want to grant that
    >explicit right.

    That is exactly what I always intended LSM to do.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.