Re: GPL only usage of security.h

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 15:28:09 PDT

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Greg KH wrote:

    > Three of the four copyright owners of the security.h file have agreed to
    > this change.  Please reconsider your stance, for the sake of the
    > project.

    May I humbly ask who of the many people who have contributed to this list
    are the "copyright holders"?  Greg, check with your attorney again: this
    has been an open software project, and, therefore, is a cumulative effort.

    Are you giving people cause to file lawsuits related to fraud?  I
    don't think that's your intention.

    Listen, I enjoy a good snake-fight as much as anybody, but this project
    has always been GPL and the *implication* has been that it will fall under
    the "existant" policies, which de-facto allow use of the kernel if you
    don't derive from it.  APIs have usually been considered the boundary of
    both the kernel and the license.  Furthermore I think any snake worth
    his/her slither can argue this project was the result of 400 people's
    efforts.

    EVERYTHING, every decimal point, every comment, every ASCII bit on the
    kernel side of this project is GPL... you said so yourself on this list to
    me a few weeks ago (not that you have any "authority", but it goes to an
    assumption.)  Do you remember?  It was a rebuttal to my caution that there
    may be others who launch off this project to build-a-better-mousetrap.  I
    have to admit, that I can see how to do that, but you did say that, Greg.

    The ideas that went into the code came from a large number of people.  I
    can prove that even a little bit of it came (partially) from humble olde
    ME.  Is Dr. Wagner a copyright holder?  He contributed greatly.  Now you
    seek to shut him out?

    You know what?  I respect LSM.  I think it's output is a special-case
    solution that is both efficient and effective for what it does.  I also
    think that it is a triumpth of open software.

    You're arguing that you want to impose the requirement that anybody who
    uses your interface GPL their output.  That's not functional, that's not
    even considerate toward the common cause of Linux Security.  You build
    something that is useful (no matter how limited) and you want to deny
    anybody who won't share his code from using it?  That's OPEN SOURCE
    ZEALOUSY.

    Add the following:

    // The LSM interface was a result of an industry-wide effort to create
    // a common interface to the Linux Kernel that facilitates Linux Security
    // by providing an interface that is relevant and useful to a variety
    // of Security Solutions.  As such, we believe that we have proven the
    // value and efficacy of Open Software.  We therefore would like to state
    // our belief that Open Software Developed modules will be more reliable
    // and more effective than closed-source, binary modules.  We therefore
    // request that anyone including this file give full consideration to
    // releasing their code for community review, for the common good of all.
    //
    // Furthermore, we grant no license or privilege to any company or
    // individual to include this file or access this work beyond
    // the most restrictive of those specifically granted for loadable kernel
    // modules as specified elsewhere in the kernel code and documentation.
    //
    // Open Source Modules are BETTER.

    If, as you've stated before several times, that your "clause" asks for
    nothing new, how would this be less applicable?

    >thanks,
    >
    > greg k-h

    Thanks,
    J. Melvin Jones

    P.S. -- How does arguing that an open, community project can add a few
    lines at the end that imposes new/unexpected restrictions to the use of
    that project work toward your apparent goal of encouraging open software
    development?  It seems to me it works against that very thing.