Re: get_write_access hook

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 17:12:10 PDT

    Since this hook seems to be purely informational, and passes only the
    pointer to the inode to the module that is inherent in the function in
    which it is imbedded, could not the module maintain a list
    of "significant" inodes and implement the same function on the first
    non-match to the list?

    Admittedly, it may be computationally intensive, but it seems to me it's
    reasonably possible.

    In other cases, this sort of "information only" call has been questioned
    as being 1) expensive and 2) invasive (another hook is, after all, another
    hook.)  To support its inclusion, could you make a case for the generality
    of its usefulness (um, please. :))?

    One the other hand, if lots of developers can save "potentially
    computationally intensive solutions" with this hook, I've no objection,
    except it co-exists with a more authoritative solution I'm working with,
    and is therefor duplication (for me.)  Is this sort of informational hook
    for a single project's purpose within the scope of LSM, or does it require
    2 or 3 projects to find it useful?

    Supportively,
    J. Melvin Jones

    Getting to know what is and isn't within LSM's scope, and hoping I can
    make use of it where appropriate.