Re: get_write_access hook

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 18:25:40 PDT

    On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 09:05:19PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    > I also am very concerned that LSM hasn't given REAL attention to race
    > conditions.  While I know of mechanisms to moderate this problem, and have
    > no doubt my knowledge is severely limitted, I would suggest that "SMP/Race
    > tolerant" or better would be a GREAT arguing factor *FOR* LSM.

    I don't think that race conditions have been overlooked when placing
    hooks. Generally, if a hook could suffer from race conditions, so could
    the kernel code -- and the kernel developers have tried to protect
    important structures with locks.

    Mostly, the evidence of care about races doesn't show up in the patches,
    but that the headers list which locks are held in which hooks shows that
    someone has taken the time to examine possible races..

    I don't think the kernel should claim value for the kernel by saying
    that we help with race conditions; kernel races will still remain with
    or without LSM. (Though, if anyone finds any races in the kernel while
    working on LSM code, it might help our reputation some to point out
    those races... :)

    Cheers! :)