Re: Making forward progress

From: James Morris (jmorrisat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 20:24:48 PDT

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Seth Arnold wrote:

    > I have no idea about progress on this front -- I don't know much about
    > the Linux networking code. I know I would appreciate it if someone could
    > assure me that the information available in the networking hooks allows
    > for dropping packets, mangling packets?,

    Yes, for IPv4 networking, we're hooked into Netfilter, which allows us to
    quite flexibly intercept, mangle and drop packets.  There are also some
    non-Netfilter IPv4 hooks for dealing with fragmentation, IP options and
    tunneling.

    > modifying the security state of
    > processes, based on rules including task information, interface,
    > addresses used, etc...

    This is possible.

    The current SELinux prototype is an example of how the combined use of
    LSM hooks and security blobs (e.g. netdev, skb, inode, task) may be used
    to implement MAC permission checks at every layer of the stack.

    - James
    --
    James Morris
    <jmorrisat_private>