Re: removal of the version field from struct security_operations

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 10:15:04 PST

    On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 10:06:07AM -0800, richard offer wrote:
    > There are two issues.
    >
    >     During development of the module you'd want immediate notification if a
    > new hook has been added that we're not prepared for, relying on security.h
    > for version numbers wasn't working for this case.

    Chris solved this with his last patch.  It will catch NULL pointers in
    the hook structures.

    >     In production use we want to stop an old module being loaded into a new
    > kernel. the existing version numbers in security.h (assuming they were
    > incremented as they should be) would work for this case.

    modutils complains if you try to load a module compiled for a different
    version of the kernel than you are running.  If you want "same exact
    kernel" support, enable module versioning of the symbols, like most all
    of the distros do.

    > Rather punting on the whole compatability story we should aim to fix the
    > first problem so that versions are useful.

    Chris has done this, quite nicely too :)

    thanks,

    greg k-h