Re: Authoritative hooks updated to 2.4.13

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 10:55:04 PST

    On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 07:59:47PM -0500, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    > For the peanut gallery, and because this concern seems to be outside LSM's
    > defined concern of "access restriction" (which is a hazy and largish
    > area),

    Just for kicks, I wondered just how hazy 'access control' really is.
    Some notes: Ross Anderson's _Security Engineering_ has several nice
    explanations: page 51: "[Access control's] function is to control which
    principals (persons, processes, machines,...) have access to which
    resources in the system --- which files they can read, which programs
    they can execute, how they share dat with other principals, and so on."
    On pages 53 and 54, Anderson mentions using matrices to model and
    implement these restrictions, using "access triples of user, program,
    file", though he does mention that the programs aren't as important as
    protection domains.

    Jonathan Shapiro: "Given a process _proc_ that wishes to perform an
    operation _op_ on an object _object_, the protection mechanism in an
    access list system is to test the following predicate: op in acl(object,
    principal(p))."
    http://www.eros-os.org/essays/ACLSvCaps.html

    Norm Hardy: "Access Control: a means for establishing the rights an
    authenticated party has to access and control a set of resources."
    http://cap-lore.com/CapTheory/Glossary.html

    The most formalised definition I know of is Butler Lampson's Access
    Control Matrices (hinted at in Anderson, but not by name):
    http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/context/144834/0

    Cheers! :)

    --
    The Bill of Rights: 7 out of 10 rights haven't been sold yet! Contact
    your congressman for details how *you* can buy one today!