Re: Authoritative Hooks

From: Casey Schaufler (caseyat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 12:58:43 PST

    Rik van Riel wrote:

    > I bet your dozen years of experience haven't dealt with
    > trying to sneak code into Linux, though. ;)

    I don't expect you to believe this, but doing the
    same thing within a corporate development environment has
    amazingly similar politics. The cycle counters are there.
    The "don't muck up MY code" people are there. The only
    difference I see is that in the Linux world you can't
    use the profit motive as an arguement. Then again, you
    don't have to fight the "I't'll cost to much to do that"
    arguement.

    > I have to agree with Crispin that it'd be much better to
    > get the something "easy" into the kernel first, only when
    > the code base has been in the kernel for a while and the
    > other kernel developers trust it, new features can be
    > introduced.

    I understand the "foot in the door" approach. Watch your toes,
    and be ready to spend a long time waiting for something
    useful to get in. I'm disappointed, and now have to figure
    out how to address the real issues this position raises.

    --

    Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
    caseyat_private				voice: 650.933.1634