Re: Authoritative Hooks

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 09:49:31 PST

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Casey Schaufler wrote:

    > You are assuming that these capabilities are applied only to
    > file system objects. They are also applied (or should be) to
    > SysVIPC objects, sockets, and any other thingies with access
    > control. You don't want DAC overridden on message queues just
    > because you've got ACLs on file system objects.

    No, I'm just assuming that a call to a LSM hook occurs before or after
    each check of these particular capabilities, so that we can use the LSM
    hook to authoritatively control the operation when we universally grant
    the capability.  If you search the Linux kernel sources for CAP_DAC_*,
    you'll see checks of these capabilities in vfs_permission and
    nfs_permission, both of which would be called from the Linux permission
    function, which also calls the LSM permission hook afterwards.  You'll
    also see a check of CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE in the proc_pid_readlink and
    proc_pid_follow_link functions, but in these cases, you have a LSM hook
    call prior to the call to these functions (in sys_readlink and
    do_follow_link).  So a security module can universally grant these
    capabilities and use the permission, readlink, and follow_link hook
    functions to provide authoritative behavior for file accesses.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private