Re: Authoritative Hooks

From: Casey Schaufler (caseyat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 16:29:44 PST

    Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > Casey Schaufler wrote:
    >
    > >The shear cleverness of the capability+restrictive scheme
    > >is I believe its undoing. You can use it to totally circumvent
    > >the security architecure of the system. While it is fun to
    > >play with this sort of thing, I would never suggest using it
    > >for production code.
    > >
    > Hey, that's a neat come-back.  You can use it to defeat any argument
    > (regardless of merrit) and it sounds way more intellectual than "so's
    > your momma!" :-)

    I'm sorry if it sounds that way. I'm trying really hard to
    come to grips with a Linux future based on restrictive hooks
    and it's not easy. I had a vision this morning of copying the
    entire security architecture into capable(), with historical
    checks left in place to placate inflexible maintaners and the
    security blob pulsing like an inflated silicon based creature
    from a 1950's Ed Wood movie. The C+R scheme circumvents the
    intention of the basic design, and while that would allow
    ACLs, it does so by deceit, not design.

    Stephen has convinced me that C+R can be used to do ACLs.
    I look at what it involves, and I say that I would not
    condone such in production code. I stick by that. If we
    have to do that to get into Linux, well, yuck, but it's
    not like I haven't seen other schemes just as convoluted.

    --

    Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
    caseyat_private				voice: 650.933.1634