LSM verification tools -- report

From: Trent Jaeger (jaegertat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 12:42:37 PST

    Hi,

    We have completed a first prototype of two LSM verification tools.  A
    report describing the tool is available from the IBM Tech Reports site:
    http://www.research.ibm.com/resources/paper_search.shtml.   The paper is
    titled:

    Verifying Authorization Hook Placement for the Linux Security Modules
    Framework
    by Antony Edwards, Trent Jaeger, and Xiaolan Zhang.

    This the tech report search site at IBM, so you can either search for the
    paper or presumably this link will take you to it directly:
    http://domino.watson.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/1e4115aea78b6e7c85256b360066f0d4/fd3bffacfd2bbd9385256b30005ec7ee?OpenDocument

    I am working on getting the code released to the community (and we are fine
    tuning its function).  Hopefully, this will happen without a hitch, but I
    am obliged to say that there is no guarantee that code will be released.

    The tools are: (1) a runtime tool that enables verification that controlled
    operations are authorized properly and (2) a static tool that examines
    whether the LSM hook placement is clear relative to the operations that it
    is protecting, so easy maintenance is possible.

    The first tool automatically collects controlled operations from the source
    (operations on key data types and globals specified to define a 'mediation
    interface'), logs authorizations and the executions of these controlled
    operations at runtime, and enables off-line analysis of the log to identify
    anomalies that may indicate missplacement of hooks.  We are still early in
    our analysis, but the paper identifies a few anomalies in placement.

    The second tool generates a web page output that lists the LSM hooks, their
    descriptions, and whether the operations they protect can be 'easily
    deduced' from their placement.  Easy deduction is defined by the agreement
    of conservative and optimistic heuristics.  The tool is fairly
    conservative: we envision that any hook should be right before one or more
    operations that use the first parameter (i.e., the object) in the hook.
    Other hook placements should be justified, and help should be provided to
    maintain the correct location of these hooks.

    The second tool's output for LSM on Linux 2.4.9 is available at:
    http://www.research.ibm.com/sawmill/lsm_249_intf.html

    A description of these results is available at:
    http://www.research.ibm.com/sawmill/lsm_249_notes.txt

    Hopefully, these tools are a useful start.  Please let us know what you
    think and what other features that you may find useful.

    Regards,
    Trent.
    Trent Jaeger
    IBM T.J. Watson Research Center