Re: Legitimate Question

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 10:19:19 PST

    Casey Schaufler wrote:

    >Kurt Seifried wrote:
    >
    >>Otherwise what is the point of having LSM at all if we start allowing apps
    >>full system access (i.e. root access as is currently implemented on most
    >>stock unix systems)?
    >>
    >As I'm already a heretic (Bring Back Bumper 3!) I can suggest
    >a solution. Enforce policy on a per-task basis. Assign a "sure,
    >go ahead" policy to the installation process.

    ... and Casey invents the SubDomain model :-)  Also the TRON and Janus
    model.

    Yes, as I've been flogging the deceased equine, permission to install is
    a policy issue, to be determined by your favorite policy, in its own
    idomatic way. LSM exists precisely because of a lack of consensus on
    what the One True Policy Model should be.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.

            The Olympic Games: A Century of Corruption and Graft
    	     The FIS: Crushing the soul of snowboarding