Re: question about bprm_ops->alloc_security(&bprm) (fwd)

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 12:24:12 PST

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:
    >
    > > I'm assuming that the goal here is to scan the environment being
    > > passed, and do something if you find something odd (for instance,
    > > LD_PRELOAD being set for a set[ug]id binary)?
    >
    > Right.  Or more generally, LD_* being set for any program that causes an
    > increase in privilege/permissions when it is executed.  ld.so only knows
    > about setuid/setgid, so it isn't aware of other security models (full
    > POSIX.1e capabilities, LIDS, TE, etc) where this might be a concern.

    Right, but under the post-LSM paradigm, the application (ld) should fail
    due to restrictions, regardless of the environment.  Environment variables
    are userspace constructs, are they not?  It's possible that a program may
    make decisions based on these and STILL not be able to access the
    necessary objects.  I'm confused (obviously): are we protecting objects or
    protecting application/root space programs.

    If we add the environment to our protections, shouldn't we have a common
    means of doing so?

    > --
    > Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    > ssmalleyat_private