Re: Reasons for Inclusion

From: Robert A. Thompson (ucs_ratat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 18:05:36 PST

    well, I would have to agree this is probalby the wrong place to ask.  I
    would guess most people here are coding on this b/c they feel/felt it
    should exist and hope it is brought into the kernel.  Kind of like
    asking ford if a car should be made.

    However, I have been a silent bystander monitoring this list since it
    was created a while ago, I have neither contributed code or comment on
    the project.  I have been highly interested in this project b/c (for me)
    it allows a great deal of ease to my life.  I know I'm biased so please
    take that into consideration.

    I am currently responsible for a small server farm (about 50 boxes) as a
    backend to 2500 workstations, and pushed to get five 9 out of the
    servers.  As a prime example we have a Linux box with samba that
    provides general use storage to hold NT profiles and a home
    drive(general storage) for 12,000 users.  I have never found another way
    to test things for this server(or others like it) other than production
    loads.  I can't simulate 2000 logon's, shift changes, someone decides to
    store dvds on it, and etc. across an entire network(there are programs
    that try, but for some reason nothing turns up a bug like using
    something for real).  I can't have multiple test boxes b/c it is next to
    impossible to keep active data in real time sync(terrabytes of space, 10
    of millions of files).  We have backup servers that are constantly
    syning, but a straight rsync takes 6 to 20 hours(depending on how far
    out of sync the boxes are).  Down time has to be planned months in
    advance.  I can not afford to be patching this box on regular
    intervals(new grsecurity patch, new lids patch, and so on).  We used xfs
    on the box for some time, however I was just able to move back to ext3
    b/c I had to baby the server for an extra week waiting on a new xfs
    patch to come out(during the whole vm change over)  At one point(several
    years ago), this same server was stuck bouncing around in the 2.2 series
    kernel b/c apple talk under a load on a 2.2.13-2.2.16 kernel would
    kernel panic the machine.  To have a method to secure the box, update
    those security patches with modules, the ability to change kernel first
    to get stability then load a new lids patch or something in afterword...
    I highly welcome this.  I have a bunch of servers that are not as
    critical or much easier to deal with b/c they are load balanced, and
    fail over.  Simply patching these servers with some "outside kernel
    patch" is acceptable.  However, on other servers I have to stay away
    from many patches I would like to apply b/c I can not afford the
    downtime or wait while one group creates patches for a new kernel.

    I could go on listing reason's until my fingers hurt typing.  I don't
    code on lsm, however I do welcome it into the kernel.  I might not even
    use lsm on some boxes(that are not exposed to security risk[you know the
    ones in the bottom of a lake{I guess that would still be a dos of the
    lake}]), but I won't compile lsm on those boxes, just like I don't
    compile in bluetooth, ham radio, or many of the other features that have
    no interest or use to me(I'm still glad to know they are there if I
    decide to take up ham radio or buy a blue tooth printer).

    So as an outsider not involved in the development, I cast my vote of
    interest and acceptance.

    --robert