Re: Reasons for Inclusion

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 17:34:39 PST

    On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:20:40 PST, Casey Schaufler said:
    > Yes, the evaluation process is a royal pain in the bum,
    > but that's mostly because so much software is developed
    > without any thought to either "Real World" or "Contrived
    > Circumstances" security. No documentation, no thought to
    > how it will work with other software, no consideration of
    > context. But that hasn't changed from the UNIX world.

    As an additional "what we need in the trenches" datapoint - I've personally
    *never* actually had to spec "must have a DOD C2 security rating" on a
    system RPQ.  On the other hand, I've had *plenty* of systems where "must
    have all the features" or "designed to meet" has been a requirement.

    (OK - maybe for some of those systems "designed for C2" was only a 95%
    fit to what we *really* wanted - but it's a lot easier to send stuff out
    for bid that way just because it gets everybody on the same page faster...)
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer