Re: Stacking Openwall and SELinux?

From: Russell Coker (russellat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 14:20:02 PST

    On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:51, Stephen Smalley wrote:
    > > be stacked with SELinux?  In particular, it seems like
    > > Openwall would be useful to stack with SELinux.
    >
    > Not currently.  At present, the SELinux security module only functions as
    > a primary security module and provides minimal support for using either
    > the dummy security module (traditional superuser logic) or the
    > capabilities security module as a secondary security module.  The
    > recommended configuration is to use SELinux with capabilities.

    I've just had a look at what the LSM patch provides, it seems that stack
    protection is not an option.   As Stephen notes the special sym-link handling
    for /tmp doesn't work.  The special handling for file handles 0, 1, and 2,
    for SUID programs works.  I haven't tested the CONFIG_OWLSM_RLIMIT_NPROC
    feature as it's difficult to test and not something that I regard as being so
    essential.

    For the symlinks problem, a suitably restrictive set of SE permissions can
    greatly limit it.  In my SE policy files I'm configuring most daemons to have
    little access to files outside their domain.  So a sym-link based attack on
    one of those daemons won't do any good.  I am configuring daemons to lack
    read access to files and directories owned by user_t as much as possible!

    Regarding the protection against stack smashing, why isn't that in LSM?