Re: Stacking Openwall and SELinux?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 20:48:54 PST

    Russell Coker wrote:

    >On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 05:03, Chris Wright wrote:
    >
    >>somehow i missed this.  how does the sym-link handling break?
    >>
    >Simple, I created a symlink under /tmp to /etc/passwd, then did "cat
    >/tmp/passwd" as another user and saw the contents of the password file.  Not
    >what I wanted to happen.

    That is not what the OWLSM module is supposed to do. It has two protections:

        * Hard links: processes may not make hard links to files they do not
          have write access to
        * Sym links: root processes may not follow symlinks that are not
          owned by root

    Your test above does not violate these policies.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.