How will LSM evolve?

From: Charles Levert (LMC) (Charles.Levertat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 13:45:52 PDT

    Hi.

    After a discussion with my colleagues today, I wondered about the
    following.  The kernel evolves all the time.  There will always be
    patches available for it; some will be integrated, but others will
    appear.  Assume that, e.g., the IPSec functionality from FreeS/WAN
    would already be in the standard 2.4 kernel from which the LSM effort
    was started.  Further assume that, were that the case, there would
    have been one or more LSM hooks in that IPSec code.

    Now, the reality is that IPSec is still a patch.  If, as is the plan,
    LSM is integrated in the standard kernel, and if, later, the IPSec code
    were also to be merged in with new hooks, what would be the consequences:
    	-- for existing object modules ?
    	-- for existing source modules (simple recompilation, or more)?

    What will be the general instructions for producing patches that want
    to add new hooks?  In other words, how will LSM evolve once it's in
    the standard kernel?  What will be the issues?

    Thanks.

    Charles