Re: How will LSM evolve?

From: Charles Levert (LMC) (Charles.Levertat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 14:40:39 PDT

    Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > Your question is well taken. We even had a long discussion on the
    > question of keeping LSM hooks up to date WRT kernel evolution at the
    > first LSM BoF last summer.

    I was at the BoF at USENIX/Sec last summer, although about one hour
    late from attending another presentation.  If this is the one, I must
    have missed that specific part.

    > WRT the "status of modules."  Linux has a long-standing policy that
    > there is NO guarantee that modules will work across kernel versions. To
    > keep your module working between (say) Linux 2.6.17 and 2.6.18, you may
    > well have to hack the source to your module as well as re-compile.

     From your answer, as well as Chris', I deduce that, from a vendor's
    perspective, if you want to distribute a given kernel (standard or not),
    you must distribute everything else (modules) that corresponds to it.
    Makes sense.

    Thanks.

    Charles