Re: Maintaining LSM modules

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 10:31:57 PDT

    Chris Wright wrote:

    >Given that, I _am_ interested in a nice clean way to initialize the
    >security_ops struct that allows the module author to only overwrite the
    >hooks they care about (similar to the last solution you propose).  This
    >is for code readability/maintainablity as well as possibly providing safe
    >fail-close solution.

    Well said.

    I agree with Greg and Chris: binary compatibility has never been
    provided by Linux kernel modules, and it is not good for LSM to
    premptorily change that.

    However, it IS good for LSM to provide the kind of facility that Chris
    describes above, so that all LSM hooks are stubbed out by default, and
    only those hooks that the module writer wants to implement actually are
    operative.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.