Re: Module Identifier

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 14:09:01 PDT

    On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 02:02:53PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > Greg KH wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 01:32:44PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > >

    > >>I propose that lsm.immunix.org start maintaining a registry of known
    > >>module IDs.
    > >>

    > >Bleah, I don't like this.  Like Richard said, if you want to worry about
    > >collisions, try part of the MD5.
    > >
    > >LANNA should be used if you want to track numbers, but since the LSM
    > >patch isn't in the kernel, it would be pointless to ask them.
    > >
    > What is "LANNA"? Obvious google queries take me to Linux sites in Thailand.

    Sorry, forgot an extra A in the name:
    	http://www.lanana.org/

    > >And it would be pointless to set up a web interface, if we aren't even
    > >sure the number will survive in the "final" lsm version.
    > >
    > ... and I agree with all of that, too.  There are forces that could
    > cause the numbers to change between now and the "final" LSM in the linux
    > kernel. This argues for the "do it later" approach.

    No, I don't mean the numbers will change, I mean the syscall interface
    itself could change, causing the number to be dropped.

    > Caveat: "do it later" will abruptly turn into "do it now"as soon as
    > someone ships a widely distributed user-level application that depends
    > on an LSM module number.

    Ah, if only a security module / userland program ever becomes "widely
    distributed".  One can only dream... :)

    thanks,

    greg k-h