Re: Module Identifier

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 06:59:21 PDT

    On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

    >   To eliminate the need for a central registry of ids,
    >   the recommended convention for creating the hexadecimal id value is:
    >   'echo "Name_of_module" | md5sum | cut -c -8'.
    >   C code will need to prefix this result with "0x".
    >   For example, echo "SGI Trusted Linux" | md5sum | cut -c -8
    >   would be used in C as #define SYS_SECURITY_MODID 0xc4c7be22.

    Not to be nit-picky, but your original posting on this topic
    (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-security-module&m=99842987214848&w=2)
    suggested using 'echo -n' to omit the newline from the input.  That is
    what we used for the "selinux" module identifier.  Not a big deal,
    obviously.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private